Tuesday, February 12, 2008

About Scratcher

Some ‘official’ reviews of Scratcher
Ministry of Education, Victoria
Scratcher (given name Macneill) is a young Australian lad who, in the process of living everyday life, seems to become involved in numerous scrapes and comical situations. Often these result in his feeling corporeally the wrath of the Principal, or his father’s hand on certain parts of his anatomy. Some of the hilariously funny incidents include: being saved by firemen from the top of a silo whilst he is in the process of rescuing a friend; having a large eel attach itself to his nose whilst out with his father fishing; adopting a dog, who, when it sights a cat, reacts in the normal manner and creates havoc in a butcher’s shop; ferreting; a folk dancing competition; a passionate love for his teacher; and watching a train load of pigs escape. Scratcher’s exploits occur in the small country town of Niamong, whose local identities add humour and colour to the story. It is written in the first person. The witty anecdotes and vibrant characters ensure a wide appeal.
Department of Education, Queensland
Scratcher is a middle primary schoolboy in the outback Victorian town of Niamong, and is in the centre of any mischief that is going. Uproarious episodes convey the flavour of a country boyhood in which fun was simple but plentiful. Exaggeration is the essence of the author’s style and the slapstick humour is bound to appeal to the young, while initiating them into such mysteries as rabbiting, knuckles and eisteddfods (referred to throughout by the graceless hero as the ‘Iced Edward’!). Spiky line drawings and a map enhance an unassuming production which should give much pleasure. Many teachers would enjoy reading this yarn aloud for both its humour and its nostalgia.
…and some from young readers:
Matt, South Frankston, aged 12
This is just a quick note to say thank you for the book “SCRATCHER”, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very funny. I would like to know where you got the name Macneill? Any way I don’t really like fiction books at all, but this one was great! I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I’D EASILY GIVE IT A BIG 10 out of 10!
Sahaj, Bangalore, India, aged 10
My neighbour and friend of my grandparents, Mr.Bandyopadhyaya, gave me one of your books 'Scratcher'. I read the book and have written a few review comments. I found Scratcher a very funny, unique and exciting book. I found the incident when Petchie, the pup, ran loose in Niamong really funny. The beginning of Scratcher was a little dull as the story was in a totally new environment. In India we do things very differently than in Australia. Later, after I got used to this new environment I started to like the book a lot. It is marvellous how you made something extra-ordinary happen in every ordinary day (in Scratcher). Scratcher was also especially interesting as we are studying Australia in Geography at school. We have learnt the western plateau, the central lowlands, the eastern highlands and some other physical features of Australia. I am hoping to read some more books written by you.
Bree, Overport, aged 11
I am writing to you to tell you how much I liked Scratcher. I like the bit when the pig got out of the train and the people all went running out after the pigs. I also like the bit where they go away with Miss Hendley to the hall to do a dance with the grade. I like Scratcher because it has funny things in it.
Lindsay
I loved the book Scratcher, I didn’t have a favourite part because I liked it all. I’m not saying you can’t write like an adult but you really did write with a child’s mind. Like when you said that they were really called brakes but you never saw a broken one. We write lots of books here at school and at the end of the story you were teaching us how to make them. I’ve written four books and other people have written lots too. I hope you are feeling well.
Bronwyn, Frankston, aged 11
I liked your story very much. Your jokes are very funny, too. We have a boy in our grade called Nicholas and he talks about something and then ends up talking about something else just like Scratcher. Your story was so amusing in nearly every sentence that our grade burst out laughing. Miss Hendley is just like our teacher Miss Young, she’s kind and pretty. My favourite chapter is “Old Mary”, when we all have a very mary time. Our class would like you to come to our classroom sometime. I liked that part about “I like it when my footprints are behind me then I know I’m in front.” Good-bye happy writing.

Scratcher has sold nearly 5,000 copies - if you're interested in the book, click on http://imaginalworks.googlepages.com.
You can also arrange for the author to write a personal dedication in the book for you.

No comments: