Thursday, February 7, 2008

Writing tips (4 of 20). Make it interesting

Make it interesting
Yes, I'm stating the obvious again! But this is critical! No one's going to read uninteresting things, unless they haveto. Even then, a compassionate author will try to lessen the pain, where possible - by breaking it up into smaller morsels, or adding humour or illustrations.
It's not enough that the subject be interesting to you, but if it isn't...don't bother!
So, you have a subject of interest: does it have developmental possibilities? Can you see the story unfolding, expanding, deepening? Are you capable of creating such a written environment?
I've had countless 'great ideas'. I've written them down, excited, only to find that that's as far as I can take that particular idea.
Know what you can do. For example, although my grandfather (Bernard Capes) wrote a crime novel (amongst many other books),
I have no idea how to do this, or to write a thriller. It doesn't matter, because there are so many types of books, for many different audiences. In my own case ranging from a children's fantasy (or is it?) The Search for Quong, through the often almost-farcical Scratcher and Lissie Pendle, to the heartstring-tugging The Alone Man to Thomas Bulford's English Companion (an alternative, idiosyncratic, dictionary for adults). You might like to look at some of these on my publisher's Web site: www.lulu.com/ianburns.

No comments: